In an awe-inspiring gesture – #feelthepride – Bengalureans showcased their “heart of gold” by raising an impressive INR 5.98 crore for charity at the Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) World 10K 2019, the world’s premier IAAF Gold Label 10K race held in May. The event’s Philanthropy Partner India Cares Foundation continued its legacy as one of the largest fundraising platforms in India, by raising INR 45.16 crore since the inception of the race in 2008.
With over 24,000 people taking to the streets of Bengaluru in this edition, 57 Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) benefitted from funds raised by the enthusiastic runners and individuals from all walks of life, in support of Children’s Education, Women’s Empowerment, Mobility Aids for the Disabled, Afforestation, Water conversation and Support for the Elderly among other causes.
Funds raised through individual fundraisers irrespective of social and economic demographics have impacted CSO’s across the country. 41% funds raised towards Education causes followed by 36% for Disability.
“Over the years, the Civil Society Organisations – CSOs/ NGOs that have taken this platform seriously have raised significant sums of funds for their work, built their visibility in Society and increased their donor base. We know that like Running, this philanthropy platform is empowering and, can change many more lives! A sporting event that is so rounded is an exception. We are honoured to be a part of this and extend our thanks to every individual involved. Our deepest wish is for many more CSOs to understand and utilise the platform to the fullest and more people to know the difference they can make!” said Murray Culshaw, Chairperson, India Cares Foundation.
KEY MILESTONES FOR THIS YEAR:
- 12 organisations have raised INR 10+ lakh.
- In the Care Champions category, 13 school students, individually raised INR 50,000/- for Habitat For Humanity to help more children have homes and get education
- Amongst the top corporate contributors Western Digital Company has contributed Rs 30 lakh and First American India contributed Rs 27 lakh, with the total contributed by Companies being Rs 1.34 crore
- The event platform is not just about funds raised; Sangama working with LGBT community and young girls of CherYsh Trust who are, national level footballers from rural areas, used the event to promote awareness about their work and achievements
The TCS World 10K Bengaluru is about connecting people and offering a platform to create a legacy for a cause they care about and a vision of the world they want to see.
The 2018 edition witnessed the Maharaja of Mysore’support to a proactive 8-year-old, to numerous socially conscious citizens acting as agents of change and using the platform for Philanthropy.
Education and Disability (empowerment) came to the fore with the funds raised in 2018. Programs to educate children, keep them in school (with health & sanitation measures), after school activities and libraries impacted around 34,000 young individuals. Mobility Aids, Wheelchair provision, therapies and a much-needed answer to “Who, after me?” with action for a residential facility for intellectually impaired, have been provided at the other end of the spectrum.
Number Game: INR 5.29 Crore raised in the 2018 edition, helped 227 women get livelihood support; 319 Intellectually Impaired get, education, therapy, counselling, livelihood training ; 533 Physically Challenged get mobility aids, wheelchairs, education, vocational training and job placements, health checkups; 822 people on health issues like cancer, HIV; general health check-up and awareness camps, hospice care; educate around 34,000 children; and 80 elders whose 3 months of stay, food and medicines got sponsored! Innovative environmental impact was set in motion with 3,000 saplings planted using a Japanese method to create a 100 year-like forest, rich with fauna and flora within 15 years.
WINNERS ACROSS DIFFERENT CATEGORIES:
- Highest Fundraising CSO: Isha Education – INR 79,64,108/-
- Second Highest Fundraising CSO: proVision Asia – INR 55,48,664/-
- Third Highest Fundraising CSO: Vidyasagar – INR 45,90,004/-
- Highest Contributing Company: Western Digital Company – INR 30,00,000/-
- Second Highest Contributing Company: First American India – INR 27,00,000/-
INDIVIDUAL – CARE CHAMPIONS:
- Highest Fundraising Individual Care Champion Platinum (Individuals committed to raise a minimum of INR 10 Lakh)
- Dwarka Pandurangi for Vidyasagar INR 46,00,004/-
- Highest Fundraising Individual Care Champion Diamond (Individuals committed to raise a minimum of INR 5 lakh)
- Pramila Desai for Shrimad Rajchandra Love and Care INR 18,77,592/-
- Highest Fundraising Individual Care Champion Gold (Individuals committed to raise a minimum of INR 2.5 lakh)
- Sameer Mehta for Shrimad Rajchandra Love and Care INR 3,77,110/-
- Highest Fundraising Individual Care Champion Silver (Individuals committed to raise a minimum of INR 1 lakh)
- Julie Ajmera for Shrimad Rajchandra Love and Care INR 2,82,000/-
- Highest Fundraising Individual Millennial Champion (Individuals committed to raise a minimum of INR 0.50 lakh)
- Vishnu B Kashyap for Habitat for Humanity India INR 1,04,610/-
ICARE: (Individuals who decide to do the best they can)
- Highest Individual Fundraiser: Sankara Raman for Amar Seva Sangam INR 20,08,804/-
Second Highest Individual Fundraiser: Sudhir Pai for Isha Education INR 8,27,402/-